The publication of the new models will impact:
- Any MAT currently operating Church of England schools and wanting to take on additional schools.
- Any mainstream MAT considering becoming a 'mixed' MAT.
- Any groups of schools which include Church of England schools thinking about conversion together.
3 Key Changes
There are some significant changes from the previous models which have been in place since 2013 including:
- Academy trusts now need to involve and seek the consent of the Diocesan Corporate Member (usually the Diocesan Board of Education (DBE)) before appointing the CEO. This replaces the requirement to "consult" with the DBE.
- Academy trusts no longer need to seek the consent of site Trustees (eg vicar and churchwardens) to amend the Articles of Association, save where such change would affect the governance or Church of England ethos of any Church of England academy.
- Directors and LGB members are automatically disqualified where they have not given an undertaking to the Diocesan Corporate Member to uphold the object of the academy trust.
For more information about how the new models might affect your academy trust, please contact Jaime Hobday in our Charity Law team on 0121 227 3703, or complete the below form.