• Contact Us

Claiming Compensation After Being a Victim of Violent Crime

on Friday, 13 January 2017.

If you have been the victim of a violent crime and were injured as a result, you may be able to pursue a claim for damages.

VWV's Personal Injury team have extensive experience in dealing with accident and personal injury claims for compensation.

Am I eligible for compensation?

The victims are often relieved to find that there is a government backed compensation scheme for innocent victims of violent crime and who have suffered losses as a result of the injury.

The scheme is run by the Criminal Injury Compensation Authority and to obtain compensation the victim needs to have:

  • reported the crime to the Police and obtained a crime reference number
  • co-operated with any Police inquiry and prosecution

How do I make a claim?

In those situations, a claim can be made by completing an online form which is submitted to the claims handling authority for the compensation award to be made. We can help you with completing the necessary paperwork.

Am I able to bring a civil claim too?

You can sometimes bring a claim against an individual or organisation. We can advise you on whether you have a civil claim. You can pursue both a Criminal Injury Compensation claim and a civil claim at the same time. If you are successful in both claims then you will need to repay money to the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority, as you are not able to receive compensation twice for the same injury.

How long do I have to make a claim?

Applications must be made to the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority within two years of the date of an incident. However, this time limit can be extended if there are exceptional circumstances. The Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority will consider any injury sustained after 1 August 1964.

We can assist in applications in respect of exceptional circumstances.

Is the time limit any different if I can pursue a civil claim?

If a civil claim can be made then court proceedings do need to be started within three years of an incident. However, again, time can be extended.

How can I get help to make a claim?

Augustines Injury Law is the dedicated personal injury claims division of leading law firm VWV.

We can assist in making the claim and dealing with any queries that the Compensation Authority have, or if they refuse an award for some reason which we think is unjust, by appealing the decision. We can also assist in negotiating the best settlement.

What will it cost me?

We are usually paid by taking a percentage of the compensation once negotiated, so that there is no cost to the victim if they do not succeed and if they do succeed, payment is only at the end of the claim. We can advise you on the most appropriate way to fund a claim.

If you have any questions then please call us and we are happy to speak with you so that we can advise you further. Please call us on 0117 314 5400.